Saturday, July 4, 2009

1st Post

This is my first time ever blogging, I probably would never have blogged if it weren't for the fact I thought I could help others. Aren't I just something special.

Either you want to learn from one who's been where you want to go, or you're just interested in the whole process of how it's done and that's it. Well, you're hearing it straight from someone who's living it so this is a pretty damn good oppurtunity for you.

There's better teachers who have more experience and make millions and do seminars, such as my mentor Dov Simens (webfilmschool.com), but here you're learning from someone who's making a movie IN THE NOW and you get all the little things that people don't tell you.

But we'll get to all that later, right now I'm just going to set up a little exposition. I'm from a crappy small town called Warren, AR. If you're town is actually smaller than mine than I'm impressed. We're also landlocked, it's a two hour drive to the nearest mall. People hang out at Wal-Mart for fun. Yeah.

Fast Forward and I've got a B.A. in Theatre from SAU, in Magnolia, AR which is not much better than Warren. So after I get done learning the Meisner technique among others from a university surrounded by cow pastures I leave to make things happen...with my Theatre degree. I choose Nashville, TN since my dad lives there. That way I could find a job to save money and move to New York, plus I could do some community theatre or something while I was there.

Well instead of getting some job at a Sam's Club I ended up getting a job...Teaching High School Spanish! I still don't understand how that happened, did my Theatre degree actually do something for me? Anyway, I was making so much money moving would be no problem, plus I could pay off bills, stock up on my wardrobe, etc. and I was acting in a play at the same time. I was making so much compared to my past part-time jobs that is was almost hard to give it up. But then again, it's teaching so I quit.

I ended up moving to LA since I was and am still young and that's where all the money is. I got an apartment,. two jobs, a manager and joined an improv group, not bad for someone from Warren, AR.

The bad, with two jobs I had no time to do anything else and I was still barely making a living. With the little extra I had I used it on acting classes, headshots, etc. I wasn't getting many auditions either with their being a WRITERS STRIKE. Really bad timing. In my little spare time I wrote my first movie. Never read a book on it, just did it. Why read a book that teaches you to write just like everone else?

Anyway, I missed my flight going snowboarding on Spring Break and tried to kill my nine hour wait by buying a magazine called SCRIPT, there was an add for a guy called Dov Simens who seemed to be the answer to everything. Well, he was. I took his $400 seminar, and knew what I had to do.

I moved back home to Warren, wrote a smaller budget movie, saved money, rewrote, read books, and repeat. One year later I finished it and now I'm getting it edited.

Now you want to know how. That's begins in my next blog, thought I'd just let you know how I got it started.

No comments:

Post a Comment